Friday, August 29, 2008

New York Fashion Week September 2008 Desiree Daniels, Womenswear Designer

Desiree Daniels was born and raised, in San Diego, CA.

The collection, originally inspired by the constructivist artist Naum Gabo, is a study of tension and suspension. Gabo creates sculptures using organic-shaped wooden frames with thin steel wires wrapped through and around them. The overall shapes within the frames are geometric and translucent. This inspiration evolved into a study of suspension bridges and the concept of tension and suspension.

Modern forms including sculpture, architecture and painting inspire me. I begin a design by thinking about the shapes and concepts behind an inspiration. Then I form a fabric manipulation and drape on the stand. I take photos, analyze them and sketch. I think about different visual details and use scale and placement on the body to differ them.



No comments: